If you enjoy this post, please retweet it.
My birthday is coming up next month. Fun fact: My birthday is as far from today as it was from 1914. What was going on in 1914 (no earlier than May 17)?
- England passes the Irish Home Rule Bill. My maternal, maternal, great grandmother was probably pleased.
- Honus Wagner becomes the first baseball player in the 20th century with 3,000 career hits.
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria is assassinated.
- The Royal Naval Air Service is established.
- Babe Ruth makes his Major League debut.
- World War I begins.
- A ton of other war stuff.
How about some innovations and inventions?
- The first electric traffic light is installed at Euclid Ave. and East 105 St. in Cleveland, OH.
- Oxymorphone (related to morphine) is developed.
- Stainless steel items spread through the general public.
- A perfumer, Puig, is founded.
- Woodman’s of Essex, a Boston clam shack, opens.
Births of people (no one of note on May 17)
- Superman actor George Reeves (died before I was born).
- Boxer Jersey Joe Walcott
- Actor Alec Guinness
- Actor Ray Walston
- Baseball’s Joe DiMaggio
Source: Wikipedia. So, perhaps none of this is true.
Follow me on Twitter @gsllc